Saturday, March 6, 2010

Will the open-source community *ever* get it's collective @$$ together?

Seriously. There are some absolutely brilliant people out there, and I learn a metric $hit ton every day from their efforts - seriously. (As opposed to an imperial $hit ton!) One thing that drives me absolutely friggin' nuts is the cyclic-incompatibilities (remember dll hell? Now try it with source-code!), conflicting source-control systems, abandoned projects abound (Code-Plex no longer being updated, now using or svn or google-code or...) and no communication ("apparently") among the elite, mutual-admiration societies.

It's actually does more harm than good for the Open Source Community. Most C[x]O's have no idea how much open-source is actually being leveraged in active projects. If it is really the way to move software forward - then it HAS to provide a better mechanism than what it is trying to replace.

I love open-source, and I contribute in any capacity I can - whether I use it, or not. I've wasted more personal hours than I care to remember, tracking down some incompatibilty because the "published" source is no longer updated - or is the "wrong one". Struggle with one project - to bring it's references up-to-date, only to find another dies "horribly" in it's wake.

I actively challenge those that I admire; how exactly is that giving to the community? How is that being a responsible thought-leader?

I think it would be fan-friggin-tabulous if they practiced what is preached and built code against each other's source as opposed to abandoned (read "obsolete") binaries, included - or better yet NOT included with their accompianed source.

Why would I have to carry "x" different versions of Castle around to see if project "y" could be leveraged into my domain problem of the hour? What the f*%k is the deal with NHibernate? and every Open Source project leveraging some version - or another, from 1.X - 3.x - and everything in-between?

I think it's only fair, because we poor-slobs coming in behind you - often finding the obscure and usually catastrophic bugs have enough to do working for "the-man". We appreciate the efforts and can certainly lend a hand - we have to do it anyway, but you have to work with those of us in the trenches!

Questions, comments, brick-bats?

No comments: